Nearly 1 in 5 young children (17.4%) in the United States are not getting enough to eat and over a third of households (40.9%) with children are food insecure (as of Wednesday, May 6, 2020).
We want to help. Together with our family, we designed a school-lunch inspired fundraiser bandana to help end child hunger.
All net proceeds from the sale of this bandana will be donated to No Kid Hungry (Share Our Strength), a nonprofit organization and movement of teachers, chefs, community leaders, parents, lawmakers and CEOs with a shared belief: no kid in America should go hungry.
This is a win-win: raise money to feed hungry kids who are suffering during this COVID-19 crisis, and get a bandana, which can be used as a no-sew mask to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
About the Fundraiser:
We printed a limited run of these bandanas and have a modest-but-achievable fundraising goal of $500 (5,000 meals). (Let's hope we exceed that goal and have to order a reprint!)
We will be donating all net proceeds of every bandana sale (after the cost of the bandana, packaging, and shipping). Everyone in our family donated their time and talents to this fundraiser, including the illustrators.
We are practicing transparency in giving: check our progress on our No Kid Hungry fundraising page (donations will be submitted weekly on Mondays, donations to begin on May 13, 2020).
Please consider an additional donation to No Kid Hungry. Every $10 connects a child to 100 meals. You can donate directly on our fundraising page.
About the Bandana:
Bandanas are useful for just about everything, but this 22" (56cm) square size also works as an adult no-sew face covering.
The design features a monochromatic hand-drawn illustration inspired by school lunches. It was drawn by family member Jon Schafer and our school-age nephew, Levi (age 7) and features a hidden Walnut logo.
The design is screenprinted on one side of the fabric (the back side is blank).
Two color options:
- Navy bandana with bright yellow ink
- Yellow bandana with navy ink
Top 10 Uses for a Bandana
10. Rag for sweat, clean-ups, runny noses
9. Head cover for protecting hairdos from the wind, and bald heads from the sun
8. Napkin / towel
7. Eye cover for better sleeping (and piñata parties)
6. Dust mask and sneeze guard/mouth cover
5. Hobo bags and backpack lash-downs
4. Civilizing picnic table spread
3. Reusable gift wrap
2. Stylish scarf / neck warmer
1. Coronavirus no-sew face mask
- 22" / 56 cm square.
- Screen-printed in the USA on 100% cotton using eco-friendly water-based discharge inks.
- Comes starched, gets softer with washing and wear.
Machine-wash cool with like colors. Tumble dry low. Iron if needed on the reverse side, the non-printed surface.